Registration for NEO 2023 is OPEN!
The North-East Ohio Dulcimer Weekend is an all-day, weekend festival for all levels of hammered dulcimer players led by Mark Alan Wade & Tina Bergmann. 2023's guest instructor is Jody Marshall from Washington DC. NEO is an ideal setting for all ability levels of hammered dulcimer participants with extended class sessions and an eclectic selection of workshop topics. There will be helpful handouts, vending, instructional aids, jam sessions, concerts, great food, laughs, fun, and more!
Our workshop offerings give direction to your development as musicians in fun and easy ways. We offer three tracks to meet you right where you are in your playing: Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced. We have strategically chosen repertoire that is both rewarding to learn and that teaches musical concepts appropriate for each level. You’ll have so much fun, you may not even realize you are learning!
2023 Workshop Descriptions by Level: Click to Enlarge
|Friday, November 3rd, 2023||Check in, meet and greet, and jam!|
|Saturday, November 4th, 2023||Workshops and Concerts|
|Sunday, November 5th, 2023||Workshops and Vending|
Click on each of the images below to see the detailed daily schedules.
We have participants on a broad spectrum of abilities and experience from very beginner to advanced. Regardless of the level you select, you will have sessions with all three instructors. To help serve your needs best, please indicate your level preference on your registration form. Here is a general guideline for defining our workshop levels:
- Has possibly played for some time but needs direction in learning or needs more time to learn new tunes fluently
- Possibly new to the instrument before this weekend
- Does not really know the note names or understand the layout yet
- Has never had instruction on hammer hold and striking technique
- May not know songs yet and probably do not have a system of dominant hand lead in place
- Understands the general layout of the instrument
- Able to play tunes, but ready to do more with them musically
- Knows most or all note names on the instrument
- Knows some simple songs and chords/scales
- Ready to add harmonies/accompaniment to melodies
- Ready to develop more hand independence
- Has a general system for hammering patterns
- Has some facility with early facets of arranging
- Ready for more sophisticated arrangements, tunes, rhythmic and harmonic ideas
- Able to read and/or play by ear efficiently
- Has more varied choices in adding accompaniments to melodies
- Consciously applies dynamics for musicality
- Able to play with fluency and steady pulse
- Has facility with hammer technique, ready to work on rolls, and/or dampers, etc.
- Has more advanced arrangement techniques
- Experience with improvising rhythmically, melodically, and harmonically within a tune
Our 7th Annual festival will feature Tina Bergmann, Jody Marshall, and Mark Alan Wade.
The North-East Ohio Hammered Dulcimer Weekend will be held at the Summit County Educational Center: 420 Washington Ave, Cuyahoga Falls, 44224.
We also have a group discount at Hampton Inn Stow 4331 Lakepoint Corporate Dr. Stow, OH 44224. (Discount code is "NOH" and you only need that code if you call to redeem our discount & book 330-945-4160.) Our discount code is already imbedded in our following link HERE.
The negotiated rate is $102 a night for a King room, or $109 for a double Queen room with refrigerator. (prices are before tax) On the registration form participants receive, we can also facilitate finding roommates if you want to split a room.
Full / Half / Concert-Only Reservation Options:
The full and half reservations cover all workshops and include the concert. The Concert-Only reservation is only necessary for people who want to attend the concert but are not attending the festival.
We offer 4 Registration Options: Full Registration, Half Registration, Lunch/Concert Package for Non-Participants, and Concert Only.
After you have paid for your reservation, a confirmation page will show a link to a form to complete your registration and choose your workshops. Most students take the same level classes throughout the festival, but it's perfectly ok to take a class in a different level. The form will allow you to custom tailor your class selections. Please COPY or OPEN that link so you don't lose it.
Click to Select Your Registration Below
WHAT TO HAVE READY:
Anything you need to play your dulcimer (stand, hammers, tuning wrench, music stand, etc.).
Optional Covid Precautions: N95 masks, hand sanitizer.
Notebook, voice or video recorder.
Use my contact page to email me with any questions you might have.
NEO Logo design by Katie Moritz.
Copyright © Mark Alan Wade